Sunday, November 8, 2009

Day 8- LAST DAY!!

Thursday is the last day, unless you are Navy and need to qualify on the M-9.  You can "sleep in" till about 6 am and go to the chow hall for breakfast.  After breakfast they make you form up by platoon and turn in all your gear.  This is a Charlie Foxtrot for sure as they have you going from one place to another, waiting in line and getting your issue form signed off.  You must do it in the order they tell you and of course it is not logical and so your stuff is not packed that way.  After you turn in your gear and get your hand reciept they start screaming at you to HURRY UP because the bus is going to leave to the airport, turns out, not so much.  They make you sit/stand in front of the bus for about an hour while they "check" the hutments to make sure they are clean (all you have to do is get your shit out and sweep them) and then hand out your certificates for the course.  Once all that is accomplished they let you get on the bus and drive you to the airport.  Of course you are dropped off at the USO, which for some of us is a hike and a half to get to our "terminal."  There are BRs at the USO so you can change out of your uniform if you have time.  Originally they said do not book any flights before 1500 but that is BS because several Navy people had flights at 1200 and one of the AF nurses had a flight at 1145- it was not an issue.  My flight was at 1300 and it was perfect timing.  I was able to change, get some Starbucks (which I know tmi, instantly cured my constipation issue) and hang out for about an hour before my flight took off. 

Overall, I have to say this is an EXCELLENT course if you are thinking about deploying in the near future.  During the down time pick the brains of the cadre and the instructors for the professional courses- they have a wealth of information to share with you.  You will get what you put into it.  Have a good attitude and have fun and you will be fine.  Good luck...

2 comments:

  1. Will do :)
    Glad you found the info helpful- cool that you are going into the ANG..
    I think you guys (as docs) have a better network of collegues that have attended this course- for nurses it is optional (at least in my unit). I was at a loss for what this was going to be like, which is why I started the blog.
    I am happy if it is helpful to others out there
    Good luck to you :)
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing. I'm a PA in the ARNG, just found out I'm deploying to Afghanistan next summer...with a unit from a different state. I went to Iraq in '04 as a medic, commissioned a year ago. I'm the only medical officer in my battalion, so I don't know anyone who has went to this course.

    ReplyDelete